Tuesday, December 2, 2008

final concert!!!

Unforunately i had to sneak out of the concert Saturday night without hearing many people's pieces. I will, however, be securing a copy of the CD to listen to after the craziness of exams is over so i can hear the final results of everyone's hard work. I must say i was very proud of my performers who pulled together to pull of my piece. I realize that my writing rarely caters to the last-minute efforts required by our student composition concerts. In fact many sections would take quite a bit of rehearsal and repetition to coordinate so a big thank you to my performers for Saturday night and an even bigger thank you for Saturday afternoon when they really nailed the piece and made all my imagined images of the piece come to life. also, each performer helped me immenseley in the writing of the piece-first with improvising crashes for me to hear what I liked, then by helping me notate effects I wanted and giving suggestions for sections of the piece and idioms of their instruments. This project has proved to me the invaluable help of performers and the importance of such a relationship when composing. Thanks guys!!!
Special thank you's go to Andrew for showing up 12:30 every week for a month and half to lug percussion gear up to the classroom and subsequently performing for others in the class AND to philip for actually screaming into Jon's tuba. It made the course.

No comments: