Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Tonight I started my final composition. I love the cliche idea. It's such a great springboard. However, I found it difficult at first to compose an original march-like melody (did i mention I'm doing the march cliche?). I want to start off somewhat typically, have a 'crashing' moment and then restart the march much more crazy and less tonal. Other marches I'm familiar with would get stuck in my head and sound so much better than my attempts. I finally managed to get something I liked for the trombone line and then tried to work out the tuba bass line. I think I will try my best to get a hold of a computer program, even if just to have something played back to me because my piano skills don't allow me to hear what I've composed. Since marches are so predictable in who has what role, I'm planning on doing some role reversal between the brass players and percussionist. I'm also investigating the idea of odd meters and incorporating world music (elements of marching music from South Asia).

1 comment:

Clark Ross said...

I'm not sure how evident it will be to listeners that you are reversing roles between brass and percussion instruments, because the percussion instrument you choose (glock, I think?) just makes your musical ideas sound sound so different than they did in the brass.

Nevertheless (a) I could be wrong, and (b) it's still a good idea, because it's easy to hear that the roles of your instruments change, even if the listener doesn't pick up on the fact that they are reversed.